Sky-rocketing Shipping Fee 2019..)))

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soyland, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    I had 5 Euro shipping cost to Norway until sometime last year when Shapeways did some modification about pricing. Then shipping fee raised to 10 Euro, which was OK enough. When checked in now in 2019, it's raised to 26.5 Euro (!!) ) Thank you very much. That's probably it for me, now I need to speed up my search for better options, fast)

2. sleepingcamper
    sleepingcamper Active Member
    World-wide inflation is accelerating. Everything is going up in prices. Central banks continue printing money like there's no 2morrow. Companies need to adjust to this inflationary environment. Nobody likes higher prices, but that's the world we are living in today. Expect more price increases on this site and everywhere else. Good luck finding better options :)

3. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    Prices are naturally rising, but I feel the rise in shipping fee here from 5 to 10, to €26.5 in a year has little to do with real life. I'm editing away where I'm heading next, to be fair as this forum is at Shapeways site. Shapeways have served me well for 4-5 years since I got into 3D parts, I'm gratefull.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Yeah, 5 to 26 euro fee rise is a bit harsh - Norway hasn't drifted away from the rest of Europe through some weird geological process? :) Seriously, SW is doing all it can to put itself out of business. Sad, really.

5. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    I must admit that the 5 Euro shipping fee I had for like 4 years was pretty 'amazing'. To most other Europe countries it was like about 10-15 euro, so I got no idea why I had that low fee, but was naturally grateful. I was okay with them raising it to 10 Euro last year, could live with it. But at the same time they did raise the parts cost quite much. When I looked in this year I did notice part cost were about back to what it was before last year's increase, but they did put up the shipping fee with 250% instead)) So the fee is now a high flat level weather to me in Norway, or shipped to Zimbabwe) Yeah alright, prices rising everywhere, but as long as I find a better deal elsewhere, until they also do some 'crazy' stuff, I take a break from here.

6. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    Did you order with express shipping?

upload_2019-1-21_19-18-32.png

7. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    I only get up the 'express' option, but it is in my case called 'standard') Norway Is outside the EU, still in Europe, but too Shapeways we could be a neighbour country of Zimbabwe for all they care:)

8. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    So... Norway better might take place in EU ... instead of UK? ;-)

9. Same problem here with shipping to Norway.
    38.24 euros for the printed item.
    26.40 euros for shipping. Now the price is 64.64 euros. And since the value of the item and the shipping cost has exceeded past the toll- free limt of 37,82 euros. It trigger's USPS customs and handling fee of 32.41 euros. So the total cost of the item including shipping and handling with USPS is 97,05 euros.

I can probably save some cash shipping it to the border of Sweden. That's only 15 euros in shipping ....

10. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    Shipping cost from and to abroad is a minus being outside the EU. Otherwise I'm happy outside the union) I have also been getting many small shipments from Shapeways imported under the 35-37 euro tax-free limit, in the 'old days' when shipping was 5-6 Euro. But now this Norwegian tax-free limit will be removed from 2020 anyway, so not much more to think about. In my experience Shapeways is performing very well when it comes to the technical, the 3D prints, and customer service. When it come to their financial and shipping departments I am less impressed. When ordering one get a invoice/order confirmation slip, that is accurate to the cent including shipment and all. However, my problem as a non EU resident have been that Shapeways do NOT send that same invoice along with the shipment, to UPS/the freight company (2018) They get another invoice not showing the same amounts, most often 10-20-30% higher (some mess with USD vs EURO I have often noticed), and the shipping cost is not showing. This have several times resulted in UPS adding their standard estimated shipping fee of like 15-20 Euro to the invoice value, according to the laws, during customs, and if the real total ordered value have been under the tax-free limit these factor have quickly broken through that limit big time, resulting in paying more VAT and import taxes than one should. Have taken me 9 months to have things sorted out with UPS in each case I have done something about it. I have again and again pointed this out to the customer service, trying to reach through to the leadership regarding the false/wrong invoices fed to the freight companies/customs, but it has been MISSION IMPOSSIBLE :) Well, not to bother any more. Imaterialise.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  11. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Can't wait for the non-EU shipping increase when the UK drops out of Europe in a couple months! Depending on whatever mess of a deal we get, of course. Methinks SW needs to open up more offices in more countries to reduce the postal lottery.

12. Ngineer
    Ngineer Well-Known Member
    Half full - half empty. By not being in the EU you don't have to pay the taxes that are used to sponsor the southern European countries, That should save you more than paying Shapeways for shipping a few times a year ;)

13. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    To Switzerland shipping costs raised from 10.82 to 26.5 €. (only one shipping options) Together with a special swiss fee one parcel costs more than 50€. I could theoretically ship to Germany nearby 6.99$ (cheapest of 3 shipping options) and get it across the border. But currently SW require that the country of your “Ship To” address matches the country of your “Bill To” address. As I improve my “invertible creations” in several iterations it makes it extremely expensive and exceeds slowly my financial possibilities.

Difficult! I hope SW find more attractive solutions for us.

14. smirkingman
    smirkingman Member
    A shame, Shapeway's service is great but 30€ shipping to Switzerland for a 6€ prototype is unacceptable.
    I've moved to a local supplier.

15. Soyland
    Soyland Member
    I've stopped using Shapeways because of their high shipping fee, now use their competitor in Belgium which got a reasonable shipping of 9.5 Euro (however minimum order is 12-13 Euro with sls print, so one better connect several parts in one file)

16. CaptH
    CaptH Well-Known Member
    I live in Italy and placed an order about a month ago for 9 items. They said it would have taken exactly a month for the stuff to get here, otherwise I could pay something in the region of $30 for rushed shipping (-1 day, delivery on the 2nd instead of the 3rd of the month) or about $100 or more (can't recall exactly how much) to halve the time of production. On an order worth about $200, charging a 50% increase to halve production times is just not appealing to anybody.
    I'm not saying SW is wrong here, surely they have made their calculations based on how much work they have in that time of the year, but I would bet 80% of the customers would indeed rather wait than having to pay that amount. Not that it would change things drastically otherwise, it's a nice option to have even if almost nobody uses it.

17. PaulMi
    PaulMi Member
    Excuse me, has anyone ever heard of ShipBob? It indeed has several warehouses located in Western markets. There are many ways to choose the right warehouse location for your orders. If you have pre-existing order data, https://sourcingbro.com/shipbob-review/ to your primary market. The average operating time of ShipBob is about one day. It's swift. Only six orders were delayed. This way, you can be sure that the dates listed above do not reflect their current delivery dates. This is just a measure they had to take because of the SLA change by the delivery service providers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  18. echovid
    echovid Member
    Nobody likes higher prices, but that's the world we are living in today.