Help - Delay Too Important For Getting Prices When Model Uploaded

Discussion in 'Shapeways API' started by 3dcompare, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 3dcompare
    3dcompare Member
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to use your API through my JS application. Basic steps :
    1. I select a file.
    2. My app uploads the file (1) to your server with your "POST /models/v1" endpoint (https://developers.shapeways.com/docs?li=dh_docs#POST_-models-v1)
      Here, the data returned does not include pricing informations in the "materials" object.
    3. I see in the "nextActionSuggestions" a mention for getModel, let's try.
    4. Just after the upload (2) , I make a request to your "GET /materials/{materialId}/v1" endpoint (https://developers.shapeways.com/docs?li=dh_docs#GET_-materials-materialId-v1) using the model ID of my upload.
      Same situation as (2), no pricing information, except if I wait a certain delay (for your system to process the file I suppose) sometimes more than 1 minute, which is a problem for me. I would like to get prices as soon as the file has been uploaded (if it is the only way to get prices of course ?).
    Am I doing something wrong ? Do you have any advice to give me for using your API ?

Thank you.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Because of the backend processing required, it can be several minutes before the prices are available. It's simply not going to happen "immediately".

There also are odd times at which the queues are jammed up.. there have been times when it was several hours. (not often, but happens)

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    From your username I guess you are trying to build the umpteenth comparison shopping site for 3d printing services ?
    Unlike competitors, shapeways runs both an automatic mesh fixing process and printability checks for all materials they offer before pricing. I am not aware of any means to limit the checks to just the one desired material, even via the API.
    Delays upwards of two minutes have become the norm here, and as stonysmith mentioned sometimes the whole thing grinds to a halt - often at inconvenient times like weekends or in the early GMT hours when it is nighttime in both Europe and the US.

4. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    What stonysmith and mkroeker have said are correct. When you upload a model it takes about 40s to process, but can take a lot longer depending on how bad the model is. We must correct the model before pricing it. Currently we are not well setup to handle pricing comparisons.