Difference Between Raw/polished/premium Sterling Silver

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ClaytonJewelry, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Does anyone have photos that show each of the silvers (Raw/Polished/Premium Sterling Silver)? I have not been able to find any set of photos that show each finish with a caption to say what the photo is depicting. This would be greatly helpful for choosing which finish I would want to use.

2. bgeorgakas
    bgeorgakas Well-Known Member
    Unfortunately, I don't have a set of models that are the same but hopefully these pictures help.

Raw Silver:
    [​IMG]
    CCTV surveillance camera cufflinks in Raw Silver by A.Square

Polished Silver:

[​IMG]
    LanaBetty

Premium Silver:

[​IMG]
    O. Vulgaris in Premium Silver by Museum of Small Things

Raw silver has a bit of rough surface and is matte. Polished and premium are both shiny and smooth. The difference between these two is more subtle. Essentially, more time is spent polishing the parts for "Premium" than for "Polished". This is not always necessary, depending on your design. If you have many intricate details and you want to make sure that everything is polished to a shine, then "Premium" is the way to go. Otherwise, you will still get a good shiny and polished surface with "Polished". You can think of "Premium" as super polished. Areas that are difficult to access with polishing tools are usually not polished all the way with "Polished", but will be with "Premium".

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

3. That is very helpful! If anyone else has example it would be greatly appreciated as well. =)

4. hannahf
    hannahf Member