Complaint On Response Time

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 2136010_deleted, Aug 5, 2018.

1. So I sent an email 2 days ago about my order and still haven't received any response.I purchased a crystal dragon 3d print and it was a lot smaller than I imagined.I just want to return it so I can get a refund but there isn't any option on the site other than contacting customer service.

2. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi Heather,
    They should have got back to you, but it is the weekend. I sent in one complaint Friday morning and got a response, and another Friday afternoon and have not heard back.
    Also does the listing you bought from state the size out of interest?

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    According to the product page (in the What's in the Box section) the dimensions are stated as being 2.82 x 2.67 x 3.47 inches. Presumably the height is 3.47 inches. It would be odd for the model to be smaller than what is listed although it could happen if:

1) Shapeways somehow scaled the part to a different size in the production process. Unlikely for that to happen but that would obviously be their error and should garner a refund.
    2) The print is broken in production or during shipping due to poor packaging. That would be obvious. Also probably Shapeways' fault.
    3) The shop offered the model in multiple sizes and the wrong size was inadvertently purchased. However at present there is only one model present in this size in that shop. Not sure if they refund for this scenario.
    4) The shop owner offered a smaller sized model prior to the purchase but altered the size after your purchase, either through a new upload or using the internal Shapeways size scaler available to the designer. In theory Shapeways uses the model shown on the product page at the time of purchase. In this case it also wouldn't be the fault of Shapeways unless they somehow used the wrong model during production.
    5) Similar to 4) but the shop owner completely deleted a smaller sized product after the purchase and then uploaded the larger size we see there now.

Customer service should be able to tell which if any of these scenarios happened based on information that is automatically logged by the system such as dates, product and model numbers, etc. The one thing they will probably ask for when they do contact you is a photograph of the print next to a ruler or something to gauge the size to help them troubleshoot the issue. Also take a photo of the sticker on the bag the part arrived in. You might want to take the photos before they get back to you so you have them ready to go.

4. It was my first time ordering from this company and couldn't find the dimensions.i mean $30 for a 2 inch product is absurd.it also states money back guarantee so I didn't think it would be a hassle.

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    You might get a refund. Good luck.

3D printing isn't super cheap and the designers can add their own markup to compensate for their design efforts which further increases the price. Items on this site are going to be manufactured using expensive machinery and in some cases with significant human touch time that adds up to a pricier product. Having things manufactured this way in onesies or twosies is always going to be more expensive than equivalent mass produced injection molded products manufactured in some foreign country where labor is cheap.

Some board gamers will pay a lot of money for specific specialized prints and they will continue to invest additional time and money into painting or otherwise modifying prints after purchase. Absurdity depends on needs of the customer!

FerretDesigns likes this.
  6. FerretDesigns
    I wasn't 100% sure but now I've checked every listing for sale has the sizing on there, on the main page of each piece as standard. It is not something a buyer adds but shapeways themselves. I don't think we can even turn it off.

It's got it in CM and you can click to change to INCH
    7.17 x 6.78 x 8.82 cm
    2.82 x 2.67 x 3.47 inches

Are these the sizes you received?

crystaldragon.png
    As Mr Nibbles has said, you can try to get a refund, and 3D printing is still a relatively expensive thing to do and buy.

Shapeways offers full
    money back guarantee on all orders.

If you’re not happy with your order, contact our customer service team within 10 days of receiving your product with your order id number and our service experts will refund you.

Terms apply:
    • Orders containing precious metals and orders of any material over $200 in value must be returned to Shapeways at customer’s expense in order to receive refund.
    • Money back guarantee does not apply to Print It Anyways orders, gift cards, or material sample kits.
    • Shapeways reserves the right to revoke this offer if we identify what we believe to be a pattern of abuse or fraud.
    • We want to know why you were not satisfied. We reserve the right to require an explanation of why you are requesting a refund and a photograph of the product for which the refund is being requested before issuing the refund.
    • We do not cover import duties, tariffs, or other fees paid by customers to third parties in order to receive the order.
    • We do not provide refunds for products that have been used, altered, or damaged after you've received the shipment.

7. FerretDesigns
    Also, the expensiveness could be down to the seller not making the piece hollow. If it's solid plastic it'll naturally be more expensive as it has more material to print.

8. Yea that's the size I received and I'm not satisfied with the product.i could get a much bigger one for the same price somewhere else.I just want my money back but I haven't gotten a email from shapeways yet.what kind of company doesn't even have a contact phone number?

9. FerretDesigns
    Is this a design you've seen somewhere else? Or do you mean a plastic dragon design in general?
    If it's the sellers own design you wont get it anywhere else (unless they sell it off site and then it is likely to be a similar price)
    Hopefully SW will get in touch with you tomorrow. As I said above it's the weekend, and they don't seem to respond much on weekends.

A lot of companies now sadly lack a contact phone number, and with SW it is probably because they ship all over the world and have offices all over.

10. I seen this exact same design somewhere else for the same price but 5x bigger.its not the sellers own design.yea I hope so.its just not acceptable for a company not have a phone number.

11. FerretDesigns
    I'm assuming it'll be cast plastic and not 3D printed then.
    I think the majority of people buying here buy either BECAUSE it's 3D printed and they like the concept, or because it's easier to get one off pieces and something interesting you can't get elsewhere.
    Where did you find this design?

12. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    At times, I too wish there was a phone number, but having worked around call centers for 30 years, I know all too well the budget required for keeping such an operation running.

Shapeways prints nearly 2 million models a year, but they are still a (relatively) small company. Dedicating 100-150 people to staff a call center would dramatically drive the costs, and therefore the prices UP... possibly as much as double or triple the labor costs. Anything short of that staffing level, and folks would spend their time complaining about the long wait times on hold. Answering an email only takes 30-60 seconds. The average 'customer service' phone call consumes 210 seconds, the average 'tech support' call averages nearly 600.

Over the years, Shapeways has been extremely generous with their return policy. But, no, the CS team generally doesn't work on the weekend. Give them some time.

13. 1 week since my first email to complain about the shocking quality of the latest printed bits I received and 3 emails later still nothing, no acknowledgement. I think my only option to just open a dispute with paypal to get my money back as Shapeways just don't seem to care at all about customer service!

14. jimmyadvice
    jimmyadvice Shapeways Employee CS Team
    @Barners Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear you haven't heard back from us!

I checked your name and email (on file in your account) in our email records and there is no record of email from you.

Can you let me know which email you wrote in with? We are a little behind from the weekend due to staff on holiday

@heather_ostrander315 I am sorry for the delay in a reply - we are a small service team split between the US and Europe working from a central inbox - we help customers worldwide so we don't offer a phone service at this time.

I see my colleague replied to your email this morning - if you are not seeing our replies, please check your Spam or Other folders.

I am happy to answer any further questions as well.

15. dstarr4
    dstarr4 Member
    shapeway is full of shit they do not refund your money and allow people n here to RIP people off.......I got ripped off for more than $80.00 I bought three items and when I got them they were ALL IN THE WRONG SCALE being useless to me as a display for a pre-production item that I could have made money with now I lost income and over $12.000 in sold inventory that I could have had with my buisness.......I SHOULD SUE YOU SHAPWAYS........and when I requested a refund they straight up told me no they do not give out refund this site needs to be shut down

Last edited: May 7, 2024
  16. dstarr4
    dstarr4 Member