Help With A File

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Axenroth_Designs, Apr 29, 2024.

1. I have two STL files the are basically round plaques - copies of Thorvaldsens Day and Night - but they are just too thin to print in the size I want in sterling silver.Can someone just add a little thickness to the back of them for me? I dont have the knowledge to do this

2. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
  3. coelian276
    What diameter do you want to print them. The original files are set to 859mm and 875mm in diameter. They are also each about 2'000'000 triangles. I will apply a 50% mesh reduction to get each of them at 1'000'000 triangles, the maximum that is allowed on Shapeways. This shouldn't be noticeable, unless you want them printed in the size of a road sign :p

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  4. no I am shrinking them way down and printing in sterling silver

I am doing some 25mm diameter and some 10mm diameter. The issue is they are two thin to print at that size in silver so i need to add some to the base. The face side is perfect but they are so thin they won't print

I have done this with medallions before these are just too thin. I need to add material to the base to make them thicker without impacting the face design

5. coelian276
    OK, so i will add 1mm to the back for Ø10mm, this way it will be printable in all metalls here. If printed at Ø25mm, the coin would be at least 2.5mm thick.

6. coelian276
    Let me know if this is how you imagined it.

7. Worked like a charm thank you

8. coelian276
    You're welcome