Selecting Color & Finish Options Not Available

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by louiserb2001, Apr 18, 2024.

1. louiserb2001
    louiserb2001 Member
    I would like to know how/who decides what color and finish options are displayed in the drop down menu box when ordering a part via a store front. Reason being I've been ordering models from a store, the materials offered include Versatile Plastic but when I then click the "Color and Finish" box it only displays "Natural Versatile Plastic" which is of no use to me whatsoever. Doesn't meet the end finish I require at all. The "natural" finish is horrible.

Just so happens that one of these files on Shapeways is now available as a free download, so I got hold of it and uploaded it back into Shapeways under "my models" so that I could create an order. This file is exactly the same as the designers file. OK, so I create an order, select the Versatile Plastic and right there, on that page I get a list of umpteen different colors and 4 different finishes; Natural, smooth, premium and processed. Well that's nice and dandy I says, just what the doctor ordered....... so why aren't these options automatically presented on the shop pages? Because they are not, I won't even consider paying for a model I actually want if it's coming in the "natural" state.

Do I have to ask the shop owner to update their listings so that these finishes are displayed? Or wouldn't it be sensible if the default on Shapeways is that all finishes are automatically displayed...... surely that makes business sense.

2. coelian276
    coelian276 Well-Known Member
    The shop owner decides which material and what finishes are available, not Shapeways. Except if a print had failed in a specific finish, then all similar materials will be set to not available.
    If you set up an item for the shop, no material is preselected by Shapeways.