medallion

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Gijs, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Hi everybody,

my first printed parts arrived, and I'm quite happy with the print quality

I would however have expected this part to printed in a different orientation (maze figure up)

This part has been painted with a silver marker. this works well!

The maze figure is from the cathedral in Chartre.

Some details: I made the part cheaper (half the price!) by making it hollow. There are no holes though, so there is loose powder inside the shape.

cheers,
    Gijs

shapeways1.jpg
    shapeways2.jpg

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Beautiful! I love mazes! I'm waiting for a maze-related print to be delivered as we speak!

The Chartres is a classic example, and it looks wonderful as a pendant. nice work on that model. Did you use a displacement map for that?

I think I might just have to try paint markers :) Thanks for the tip. If you're interested in sharing it further, you might want to put a topic in the "post-production techniques" part of the forum.

-Whystler

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. frankbuss
    frankbuss Member
    Nice model! I assume this is WS&F? The rougness of the material, combined with the silber marker, looks like stone, good idea.

I wonder what Shapeways thinks about enclosing material inside a volume. Or doesn't it matter, because it is (maybe) cheaper support material?

4. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Thanks, and glad you like it :)

as for enclosing material: I assume that is not an issue. I understood that the powder can only be recylced for 50%, meaning that each shot should at least contain 50% fresh powder.

I modeled the maze, it is not a displacement map (modeled in Rhino)

and yes, the material is WS&F

Cheers,
    Gijs