My First Silver Print

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 71054_deleted, Oct 24, 2011.

1. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    sterling1.jpg

Yay! My first silver print FINALLY arrived so I thought I'd share.

I wasn't sure how precise the measurements would be for gem setting so I intentionally left the gaps you see for soldering a small bezel in. I'll forgo this in the future because the dimensions were so accurate, I'm really impressed with the precision.

It's going to need a lot of hand polishing but I can't wait for the rest of my silver tests to arrive and start designing in earnest. Thanks for all the shapies who have helped me along the way!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Very elegant looking. I love working with silver and stones. Can't wait to design more.

3. mingles
    mingles Member
    Beautiful! Very nicely made! Is that a piece of Charoite? :)

4. duann
    duann Member
    Very Nice...

5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Looks great!

Did you pay for silver glossy? Or was it just regular silver?

Because if you payed for glossy, it shouldn't have all those scratches in it, nor need any more polishing.

Lincoln

6. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

@M1NGLES Yes, its charoite, I'm a sucker for purple stones. :)

@Novaking - Yes, I paid for glossy silver. The back of this piece has some really significant scratches too. Because it was late, I'm guessing SW didn't spend as much time tumbling/polishing? It needs some soldering/pickling/polishing regardless so I'm not going to complain BUT I hope I don't see this finish in the future.

I have some flat pieces arriving at the end of this week and I'm really hoping they don't look like this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    If you don't mind, please send some pictures to service@shapeways.com

Tell them that you don't think these scratches are appropriate for polished silver.

They will want to know when this sort of thing happens. The only way to make sure that the quality control is good is when the people in charge find out when it wasn't done right.

Lincoln