Wall Thickness Checking

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by LoveAndShapes, Oct 24, 2018.

1. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    I remember seeing peoples choice of 3d app for checking the wall thickness before uploading here.
    But now I cannot find those posts.

What software do you recommend?
    I am using mainly C4D, but that does not have such function build in.

2. IntelXeon
    IntelXeon Well-Known Member
    they disabled here on my side

3. southernnscale
    southernnscale Well-Known Member
    Netfabb Basic works well for checking wall size while checking your drawing for printing and Shapeways still has there sit page, 3D tools that also shows thin walls. you can check here for any type of material and see if the wall size is correct for material you would like to use! then correct and reupload!
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/8506419/0/6

4. jeremyzschau
    jeremyzschau Member
    Is there a free alternative to Netfabb? It is a subscription now.

5. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    The shapeways 3D wall thickness checking seems to have changed today ( 20 / 02 / 2019 ) to provide an automated 'helpful fix' that auto-fixes thin walls. While this may be wonderful for most things, I'm concerned that I have lost the ability to see the old 'heat-map' thickness at any spot. I used this more exact tool to find and correct 'nicks' and thin spots in complex jewelry designs. Please add back-in the measuring tool display so I know exactly how shapeways is seeing the model at any point in the model, 'suspect' does not tell me the exact thickness involved. IMG_7979.JPG

6. Peter3D
    Peter3D Well-Known Member
    Blender:

7. bordendesign
    bordendesign Member
    Hi, I'm looking for someone to help fix some thin wall issues with a man's ring with letters on top. I'm willing to pay something for the help. If you know someone that can help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Looks like we are going to need a bit of height in the text or more bold, or both. PM me for deets.. SW add link interface goes wonky, I'll try and PM it to you - model check that is. -S

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/10343286/0/6?key=0e4230ec0863c8398a285dbc5196da0e

BTW - Here are the results using ZBrush to polygroup based on thickness. I just used the default settings. Latter used autogroup to remove and replace the low poly text. Digging ZBrush 2020! -S
    ring-first-thickness-check_GrabZB.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  9. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Thanks Peter, I do use the blender 3D printing add-on. My issue is always more with how shapeways interprets the .stl file. I always make sure everything is manifold and there are no obvious issues before sending to shapeways. But sometimes shapeways likes to cut in at joins in weird ways and the thickness issues show up in red. I find that helpful, and usually easy to fix by adding small geometries at those points.