Shapeways Launches Etsy E-commerce Integration

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by gregorykress, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Thanks, Leon. I'll check it out.

2. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    Orders of 50 pendants of 100 euro is a nice problem!

Ontogenie and lefteri like this.
  3. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    I had hoped this would happen one day, and currently the Shapeways quality is quite good...But I worry as there have been periods where I've rejected 1/3 of each batch sent to me! One of the reasons I push my etsy store and not my Shapeways store is I've felt the need for a second quality control check before it goes to the customer...sad but true.

I will check out the "ship to me" option, but it's not sounding much different from what I'm doing right now i.e. just placing the order through your website. Placing through your website also allows me to combine shipments and save on postage...will that be an option with the Etsy integration?

fuzzbumdesigns.etsy.com

Ontogenie and JoyComplex like this.
  4. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    I think this is a good question.

For example, what if a customer orders something and then wants to cancel? If you cancel the order on Etsy, does the order get cancelled on Shapeways?

Ninety percent of the time transactions on Etsy are pretty smooth but that 10% can get sort of gnarly at times. Speaking from experience as Ive sold quite a bit through etsy.

5. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    How do I know if this is working or not? I've clicked the integration button, I was asked for card details but it didn't accept. Once integrated, is there anything I should do in the settings in Shapeways or Etsy shop, some kind of tutorial would be good?

6. stevecim
    stevecim Member
    HI Shapeways Support,

I just tried the integration with Etsy and my Etsy store is set to AU dollars , when I run the import and brought 1 product to Etsy , I found two issues ,
    1: in shapeways the products are listed in USA $ , in Etsy the US price was used has AU prices, ie. a Pendant listed on shapeways was US$20 became AU$20 when imported into my Etsy Store.
    2: Materials turned off in Shapeways become are turned on in Etsy , with prices set to the build cost.
    If you not careful someone will order a product at build cost , Once Etsy fees are taken out you will be out of pocket , add the US to AU conversion , I will loose over 30% .

7. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Does Shapeways send a message of an order that has been received with a Shapeways order No?
    Regards
    Vijay

8. lefteri
    lefteri Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi @Greaseball and @JoyComplex!

- If you or your customers come across any issues with an order, you can reach out to us at storefronts@shapeways.com within 10 business days of the delivery date. Please provide the Shapeways order number, and photos of the print as it arrived, unaltered. We can then file a complaint with the appropriate department.

- Cancelling an order on Etsy will not automatically cancel it on Shapeways. Cancellation requests can be sent to service@shapeways.com. Please note that we can only cancel products as long as they have not entered the production stage. Our support hours are from Monday through Friday and there are instances where an order can move into the production stage shortly after being placed and potentially before we can get to your request."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. lefteri
    Hello @FerretDesigns! As long as Shapeways orders are going to the same address, we can combine them into the same shipment. In such cases, please reach out to storefronts@shapeways.com with the order numbers you'd like us to combine, and we will refund the excess shipping fees. Please note that we can not uncombine orders and that all orders in a combined shipment must complete production before they ship.

FerretDesigns likes this.
  10. lefteri
    Hello @Dotsan and @stevecim I will take a look at both of your accounts and reach out via our storefronts support email address.

11. Ontogenie
    I appreciate that Shapeways is trying to make it easier for our products to be seen, and in general I think the Etsy integration is a good thing. Etsy has a large, built-in customer base that isn't likely to find Shapeways or be comfortable using it (my experience with my customers). I just don't think it's going to work well for me personally to add another layer of complication to order fulfillment...all of the products are going to have to come to me first anyway (quality control, branded packaging, adding hooks to earrings, etc.) and I need to be in charge of when I place orders and which orders are combined without sending an extra email.

For sellers who don't do any post-processing, i.e. miniature sellers, and don't have special packaging, this could work very well, though. I am interested to see how it all develops in the next few months.

12. lefteri
    Hello @Ontogenie! Thank you so much for the feedback. :)

We understand that, in its current iteration, this is not ideal for all businesses. We are exploring some potential solutions that may make this a viable option in the future. I hope you'll stay tuned!

Ontogenie likes this.
  13. aryser
    aryser Well-Known Member
    In the meantime the two systems work together quit correctly and fast (compared to the first days). Shipping costs are shown correctly.
    Just no sales yet :(

14. Ontogenie
    Just a quick clarification, is it possible to set some of my Etsy listings for direct fulfillment by Shapeways and the others not? I can see how this might be useful for certain products, i.e. plastic or sandstone models that I don't necessarily want to package and ship myself. :)

15. thepinkin
    thepinkin Member
    I wish that this would be made more clear in the settings. They state that "You can batch multiple Etsy orders into a single Shapeways order if you are shipping to yourself", so I assumed that after getting many models linked to my shop, there would be a way to select multiple orders and then place one order for all of them at once. Seeing no button for this, I just naively figured that clicking "place order" must bring up a secondary page where you can then batch the orders, but that button instead just instantaneously places the order. Given that I choose to pay for the fastest shipping setting, as that cost is usually spread out over about 20-30 orders on my end, I am sad to have now placed a single order where the shipping costs are more than the item itself.

From what you describe, to do what I want with the integration to batch 20 orders with next day shipping, I would need to pay an extra $300 up front, send a message where I copy and paste the 20 order numbers into a list, wait for a refund of $300, and then do this on a weekly basis. This is clunky and I'd rather just place those 20 orders manually like I normally do. Have been excited for the Etsy integration for a while, but I'm not quite ready to jump on board until there is an easy way to batch my orders to save on shipping.

16. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Well-Known Member
    What type of information does the customer receive via email? Do they get process and shipment tracking from Etsy, Shapeways, or is that up to the Seller to track and relay per order?

Dotsan likes this.
  17. FerretDesigns
    FerretDesigns Well-Known Member
    I've decided to stay clear of this integration for now. A fair few people are showing it as buggy and troublesome, and it feels like a LOT more work than it is worth. Maybe as the kinks are worked out...but not now.

As someone who sells only around 20 ish pieces a month on etsy, I think this would just make things more complicated than they need to be. I don't want to bug about with emails with combined shipping like others have said.
    And I still like having the extra step of quality control...given how often in the past I've had things that were just terribly printed, to then be remade and be just as bad! Yes, the quality has been better recently...but all the issues before have left me twitchy on quality.

18. lefteri
    Hello @thepinkin, I'm sorry this was not made clear!

I totally understand that the process I described is not ideal when multiple orders are placed. While we do not have a definite launch date, our team is working on an option that will enable you to batch multiple Etsy orders into a single Shapeways order. We will announce this option on this thread once it has gone live.

19. lefteri
    Hi @ZapWizard!

For orders placed via Etsy, customers will receive a confirmation once their order is placed as well as an email notification when their order has shipped.

You as the seller will receive notifications from us regarding the progress of the Shapeways order used to fulfill the Etsy order.

20. @numarul7 Hey Florin! Wasssss up!!! James here! :D :D :D

So, I set up my first integration product with my new shop and I think I found a workaround for the problem you identified. What we can do it just set the quantity under the inventory and pricing section of the Etsy listing set up. Like for example, let's say the card one was going to use had a thousand dollars of credit available on it and one had 10 products selling for a 99 dollars each, well then one would simply set the inventory to 1 for each of the 10 products. That way, if customers purchased all 10 products one would still have 10 dollars credit left on the card and there would be no way to overcharge the card. The way it works on Etsy is when the inventory number is used up Etsy no longer automatically renews the listing and the listing doesn't show in the store.

It's annoying though because it would mean one would need to keep going into their Etsy listing and manually renewing their listings relative to the available credit on hand. I think Shapeways should just do away with the credit card method altogether and simply bill shop owners for services rendered. Yes, there will be instances where shop owners don't pay but it won't happen very often so Shapeways would still come out ahead in the long run.