Shapeways Launches Carbon

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by gregorykress, Feb 28, 2019.

1. gregorykress
    gregorykress Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi there Shapeways community!

There are so many exciting launches coming up and we’re thrilled to finally be able to share one of them with you: our partnership with Carbon. Through this new relationship, we’ll be able to offer you Digital Light Synthesis™ (DLS™) technology to create three new materials:
    • Elastomeric polyurethane (EPU 40), a highly elastic, tear-resistant, and resilient material, great for printing foam-like products,
    • Rigid polyurethane (RPU 70), a versatile and rigid material, great for automotive products, and industrial parts.
    • Urethane methacrylate (UMA 90), a tough, rigid resin similar to conventional SLA and used to manufacture jigs and fixtures.
    These materials present exciting opportunities not previously possible with traditional manufacturing.

These materials are available to all Shapeways customers upon request. Sign up today to become one of the first to access cutting-edge Carbon materials with Shapeways.

Check out the details and register here!

catslady123 and avim like this.
  2. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    Any ballpark for the pricing ? Or is it a "Ask for a quote" kind of price category ?

catslady123 likes this.
  3. ecs_norway
    ecs_norway Well-Known Member
    And do we have any word on design guidelines? Wall thickness, interlocking parts, etc?

catslady123 likes this.
  4. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    Is this a product being developed for eventual use as a print-option in our storefronts?

catslady123 likes this.
  5. MichaelAtOz
    MichaelAtOz Well-Known Member
    Food safe? (+1 for all the above Q's)
    Link to machine details, other manufacturer info?

catslady123 likes this.
  6. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    Is there any way to obtain/purchase sample kits that contain newly introduced materials?

catslady123 likes this.
  7. Giorgio_Montagner
    Giorgio_Montagner Well-Known Member
    I think that these new materials are going to be very interesting, expetially for the Elastomeric polyurethane (EPU 40)

catslady123 likes this.
  8. catslady123
    catslady123 Well-Known Member
    Hey everyone! We're so thrilled to see your excitement about our partnership with Carbon! These are great questions, and right now the best way to get answers is to register for more info here. You can also find more specific information about these materials by checking out the Material Data Sheets.

Once you register through the link above, our sales team will get in touch to find out more about your product ideas/needs and answer all the questions you may have.

9. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    They're not going to try and sell us any timeshares, are they? :eek:

crashtestdummy and catslady123 like this.
  10. catslady123
    I don't think so... as far as I'm aware, Shapeways x Timeshares isn't on our roadmap yet :D But in all seriousness, our sales reps are a group of really nice people and they'll be glad to help out with all your Carbon questions.

11. 3401_deleted
    3401_deleted Well-Known Member
    @EricaC : If I get you right, it is more a B2B kind of offer, and nothing for one off's or small orders. Maybe it would be better to create a b2b.shapeways.com website to cater to this market... [edit] I see that you now have "Business Solutions[/edit]

12. catslady123
    Our Carbon offering isn't only for B2B customers, but I suspect many business customers will be interested in it as a solution for them. If you have a one-off or small order, definitely reach out and our sales team we'll see what we can do together :)

13. aliciafelber
    aliciafelber Well-Known Member
    Environmentally friendly?...

EvieL likes this.
  14. RayP1949
    RayP1949 Member
    Interesting but a total lack of any useful information to design from. Not interested in being badgered by sales people before I even understand about the materials and design specifications/limitations. I will wait and see if Shapeways gives us designers this information.

crashtestdummy likes this.
  15. xigfrid
    xigfrid Member
    By looking at the "Carbon RPU 70 datasheet" and comparing it to "HP PA12 datasheet", both materials have similar mechanical properties except that the RPU 70 is more sensible to temperature: it would deform and melt in hot water (PA12 won't).

RPU 70 is a UV resin, so the parts should have very high surface details and be as smooth as FUD. Should come with supports too. Very similar to Black High Definition Acrylate material for those who have known it.

16. dfoley75
    dfoley75 Well-Known Member
    Any idea if that elastomeric polyurethane could be used as a gasket material for sealing? Just curious

17. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    Not a complaint, per se, but maybe a suggestion to the sales team: When contacting applicants, make them aware of the design constraints. It'll save everyone time and effort.

That being said, many thanks for the opportunity. I'll be updating the model accordingly.

18. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Thanks for the feedback @FreeRangeBrain , I have forwarded it to the sales team right away :)

Cheers,
    Mitchell

19. ZapWizard
    ZapWizard Well-Known Member
    How do these materials hold up to UV exposure, moisture and weather? Could any of the materials be used on parts exposed to the elements?