Reusable Espresso Capsule

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by 28396_deleted, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Hey Shapers,

I want to feature an "out of the box" idea of mine..

I bought an Espresso Club Coffee machine with capsules...
    just to find out i'm stuck with the tastes and brands my supplier
    offers me... not to mention a "life-time" calls from that supplier's
    telemarketers to order a new stock of capsules.. :confused

So i thought how about testing new off-the-shelf brands (foreign
    or domestic) ? or how about Tea? on my Capsule machine..

I opened my Sketchup and designed a REUSABLE Capsule so
    i can pick and choose my own favorite tastes, brands, and Tea !

https://www.shapeways.com/model/137461/espresso_reusable_caps ule.html

esspressoclub capsule.2873.jpg

I tested the Black Detail/Transparent material on my machine
    and amazingly nothing happened to it with the high temperatures...

I know materials on shapeways are not entirely recommended
    as food safe.. still i'm going to test it and see how it goes.

I could try and print it using Stainless Steel or even Gold Plated
    but i am not sure yet if the 1mm walls will be accepted for print..

What do you guys think ?

Cheers,
    Dizingof
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dizingof

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Tommy_2Tall
    Tommy_2Tall Member

Hi!

I'd be a bit cautious and worried if I knew there was a slight chance of plastic residue or support material in my coffee/tea.

A simple tea strainer or tea ball in goldplated stainless might be a nice idea though... and it would probably get the attention of your guests. :)

But then there's the issue with 3mm wall thickness and possibility of fused holes if you make them too small and useless holes if they get too big... :-S

Are the original capsules ripped/cut open or just punctured? Perhaps it would be simpler to reuse the material at hand?

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

The way my machine works ( i assume its the way for all capsule machines like Nespresso) is you put the capsule in its bay and a metal rod from above punctures the aluminum foil , pushes hot water and sucks it up back to your cup.

This design is a replica in terms of accurate measurements - but i added of course the re-usability function by making it a 2 part capsule that you can close tightly using the 2 nobs.

As for any plastic residue .. you rinse it thoroughly first.

I should email Bart with the STL file and ask if it can be printed in SS.
    Though the Transparent or Black Detail is good enough for me.

Cheers,
    Dizingof

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'd also coat it in a certified food safe resin if I were to try something like this.

5. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Any link to such food-safe resin? never heard of it.

Thanks

6. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Woah, lab rat Dizingof.
    :eek:

How does it taste?

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  8. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
    I'd be quite cautious at trying to sell it (in addition to the already mentionned health risk ). Cafe machines and capsules are heavily covered by multiples patents... Nobody can block you to print some for yourself,though and make some cups of " Authentic Arabica & Plastic taste" :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Haven't tested/tasted it yet.

Local UPS charged me $64 for a $51.9 order which had this capsule ... that's 123% outrages fees !! :eek:
    only because of the extra $1.9 above the $50 no-customs/state taxes limit.

I told them where they can push this package.. :twisted:

(my lesson here never order above $50 per package.. split it.)

I'll order it again and let you know.
    I don't think it's a lab-rat thing ... just thinking out-of-the-box. :cool:

Cheers
    Dizingof

10. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    I like the idea, but i would definitely think that SS would be the way to go. Unless you can find out what exactly happens to the plastic at that temperature....

Quite a few plastics do some...well..bad stuff when heated.

11. photosfromrob
    photosfromrob Member
    Here's another good reason to charge shipping and handling separately. On duty on shipping and handling, I think. How about Shapeways finding ways to decrease duties, etc. Maybe, Treating bulk orders from shop owners differently than normal orders. You could increase your profit if you got more of us selling on our own.

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @rawkstar320,

Black detail survived the high temperatures of the machine but i too think SS would be far better for this concept.

@photosfromrob,

I don't think that would help... Duty tax + VAT are applied (in my country) on the entire invoice value , including the shipment...
    and then there is the UPS fees on top of that..

The solution according to Pete , Shapeways CEO , is us 3d printing using a local Shapeways branch where we live... much like Ponoko franchising across Europe and New Zealand.

I have no doubt it will happen , but it will take some time..

Cheers,
    Dizingof

13. sammymatik
    sammymatik Member
    I am working on a project for a coffee cup and have searched for a food safe (potable water) resin and have found a few. the only problem is, they are not rated for higher temperatures... Not that coffee is that hot but, it exceeds the operating temps for their resin systems. I've contacted several manufacturers and resin suppliers and have not found a system which is safe for this use...

I would think that something like this must exist... and they probably do and are in use, but it seems like the resin companies tend not to test for this application so the resins that do exist are not rated for heat.

I'm a student in a plastics program and I'm stills searching but have not found a suitable epoxy system yet.

if you find out any info, i'd be interested.

Very good idea btw. the other option is to make a piece then produce it via casting/thermoforming.

14. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

I haven't looked into the food safe resin but perhaps the new glazed ceramics can be a good option..

15. Caleb_98
    Caleb_98 Member
    FDA Approved food safety glues
    Hello I am a woodworker and carpenter I know FDA approved food contact glues some of the glues which you can use for food utensils and kitchen home appliances
    1. Gorilla glue
    2. Titebond Glue
    3. Elmer's Glue
    4. Gluemaster CA glue read more on Bestwoodglue.info or utensils useable glues and adhesives on my blog