Recent Forum Feedback...

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by gregorykress, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    The issue was caused by our first iteration of the new model processing doing a quick check to Estimate how many parts.
    In case of the first model in the email you have received, it estimated it had only 1 part.
    Last week we reprocessed with the newest version (still fast and more accurate), it correctly counted the number of parts as 6 for that model.

And thus the price increased.

2. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    Well maybe count again, and then the prices will drop again. What kind of service is that?

SW announced repricing structures and hesitated to introduce this becaus of all sorts of bugs. SW has told us that it will provide conclusive information before new pricings would be effective. This is called 'inform you customer + allow your customer to respond'. Furthermore SW acknowledged (or at least the CFO has) that it is not realistic to expect shop owners to modify over 1,000 items over night.

So far, you'r just changing randomly. And so far repricing of FUD/FXD items would not take place for items thast were on the market before October 22nd 2018.
    But it seems that even those claims have no value.

I understand that all prices of FUD/FXD models released before Oct 22, 2018, will be grandfathered until new systematics are announced. This announcement is going to be well befor implementation. These repricing would be for all items, not just a few.

3. avim
    avim Shapeways Employee Product Team
    I apologize, but we don't have a set date yet. Other areas of the site have had issues that have pulled some of our engineering team's attention and delayed things. It's now looking like it will be closer to the end of this month. I will keep everyone updated once we have a firm target.

4. railNscale
    Read the above postings and you know your statement is incorrect. For some reason SW has already changed prices of some FUD/FXD products that were launched (well) before Oct 22nd, 2018.

Maybe it is time to fix things, and in my case change the prices back to the proper pricing.

5. railNscale
    For some reason posts of the Service Team are deleted. Nevertheless I'd like to give my answer/suggestion:

railNscale:
    Well maybe count again, and then the prices will drop again. What kind of service is that?
    We did count again, that's why you received an email stating that the part count for 10 of your models was incorrect.

MitchelJetten:
    I checked in with our development team, prices for the grandfathered Fine Detail Plastic material have not been affected by this recalculation.
    They keep the grandfathered pricing, all other materials will have seen a price change to reflect the actual number of parts.

But if we didn't do this recalculation of parts, it meant that some models will incorrectly be priced when we do make the change for Fine Detail Plastic.

My apologies if the communication here hasn't been very clear :(

1. Well, that is incorrect. Prices changed. Please explain why prices did change. And correct your errors.
    2. Please explain the reason of the e-mail of SW telling me: " We will be making a system update on Wednesday, March 6, to improve the accuracy of our instant quoting platform. With this update, a small percentage of models will see a price change due to a revised calculation on number of parts*. "

By definition grandfathering of prices means you do not change anything in the pricing systematics or whatever. As SW does not explain how prices are being calculated, it is really your problem.

So please correct your errors, and please set back the prices of the parts as were set.

crashtestdummy likes this.
  6. Snowwolflair
    Snowwolflair Member
    Given these exchanges I feel I should revise my last comment to something more appropriate.

"Ever felt like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest."

My kids used to run a school tuck shop with more reliable pricing.

Zenevas likes this.
  7. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    I do hope that the pricing for the Fine Detail Plastic is handled soon. We had the third worst month ever, counting our opening month and January 2018 after everyone spent out in December. Currently I am seeing orders of four and five ships, instead of ten. At this point we cannot tell if spruing a couple of small ships together would help sales as we don't know what the "real" price of those ships are or what the final price of the sprues will be. Without those figures, I am not willing to direct our designers to work on sprues.

Please don't let this issue languish. It is hurting both us and Shapeways.

Jean

8. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    Worst sales month in the last two years here too.

9. Now the CEO talks about API integration with Shopify etc. But again, no words HOW this can be arranged.

10. woody64
    woody64 Well-Known Member
    Did some updates of some of my items and the current view on fine detail is that the prices are at least twice the prices from white "processed versatile", which makes this material not very attractive.
    Is that really intended?

11. Spitfire2865
    Spitfire2865 Well-Known Member
    AFAIK Its knowingly broken and "the Shapeways staff are working on a fix". But really, why would they fix it when its massively in their favor?

12. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    They would want to fix it because if customers balk at buying at the set price, then eventually Shapeways starts having machines standing idle. In addition, the designers who resell the products through Etsy or their own storefront start looking for alternatives. That becomes a death spiral.

We've seen sales drop by a third. My customers don't need to use the expedited production; their orders are shipping promptly. Having too high a profit can destroy a company just as surely as too low.

I do believe that Shapeways will sort this out. I hope it happens promptly. I have pictures I cannot load into products because it will trigger price changes. I have icky profits for Versatile Plastic that made sense in the old pricing, but now do not. January through March was our slower time when I could take time to work on Shapeways and fix things; I'm looking at a crunch time soon and, especially since Shapeways isn't as profitable for us now (sales down by a third or more), I won't be given the time to do those fixes.

Jean

avim likes this.
  13. reducedAircraftFactory
    reducedAircraftFactory Well-Known Member
    @avim: clearly you were talking about the end of the month of April. ;) But I wonder if there are any updates on the topic of "when will all FUD models switch to the new pricing"? I have a hard time making sense of my catalog when the prices are derived from 2-3 different pricing formulae.

14. ChristianH
    ChristianH Well-Known Member
    My tiny shop is effectively dead.
    Thx ShapeWays.............:rolleyes:o_O

15. avim
    Update on timing is coming tomorrow after the team concludes accuracy validation of the most recent changes they have implemented. I appreciate your patience during the delay. Although we were hoping for mid-March originally, we have encountered a number of serious technical challenges along the way. We did not want to knowingly launch something that was not ready and thoroughly tested.

16. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    Yippee! Thanks for waiting until it was right -- I don't want to update ships and then turn around and update them again.

Jean

17. avim
    Update - during testing today we ran into one final (hopefully!) issue with our CSV bulk comparison tool where it was timing out on certain accounts with lots of models.

The team is working on a quick fix, but this will need to be updated on Thursday and tested on Friday. In the interest of not releasing new code right before the weekend, we will have to push this bulk comparison tool release to this Monday morning 4/22 release (with the end of grandfathered pricing happening the following Monday 4/29).

I'll keep everyone updated when it's ready.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    adbinc likes this.
  18. adbinc
    adbinc Well-Known Member
    Avi, for products created between the 22nd and 29th, will they have the "new" pricing or the corrected pricing? This is important to me because I'll start creating about 50 products for release on May 1. I need to know if I'll be fixing prices on the fly that day.

If I edit products between the 22nd and 29th that were created after October 22 and have the "new" prices, will they move to the "corrected" prices? This is important to me because I have a lot of products to edit and I want to evaluate the pricing to see if Professional Plastic will fit into the materials we want to offer customers. Therefore, I'll be repricing by hand to check the 3D Tools and see if each ship passes for the proposed new material.

Thanks,

Jean

19. avim
    Hi Jean, so yes - prices will change on April 29th. So I recommend that you hold off on adding new models until the 29th change happens to avoid having to make changes to a file in a short time period. Unless you are just worried about your markup and not setting the exact price, in which case the markup will always be preserved no matter what...

Separately, I want to clarify that this coming change to FDP (FUD) could impact all models in theory, not just those on grandfathered pricing. We changed our algorithms to more accurately reflect our costs in printing FDP. To over-simplify: as it is more expensive for us to print tall models than short models, our new pricing will now shift some of the cost burden from short models to tall models in the new algorithm.

adbinc likes this.
  20. m0rris
    m0rris Member
    Will there be a way of see what the effect will be before the new pricing model goes live or will it be a case of wait and see?

Many thanks

C

avim likes this.