Netfabb Not Working.

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Mechanoid, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Mechanoid
    Mechanoid Well-Known Member
    Hello 3D Community,

About 11 or so years back I bought the full version of natfabb Private. My friends and I make pieces and parts. Not people. So this was the perfect 3D software for me. We learned to use it fairly well. Sadly my ancient computer had to be brought into the modern era over the xmas holiday. So I went to install netfabb Private, and to my shock, netfabb didn't activate my key. Doing some searching over the past few days I discovered that netfabb was bought by an outfit that refuses to accept netfabb members with actual accounts and fully licensed keys.

And they are pushing a revamped netfabb that they are demanding $1,600 a year with no ownership what so ever.

I fell over. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

So my netfabb is gone with no chance of recovery. In less someone here knows how to get it activated.

On the worse case scenario, I need another 3D software. Does anyone know of a 3D software that is under $300 but functions much like netfabb did, but is a lifetime license key. I can't afford an annual key fee. It doesn't have to be something to do people, I wouldn't know how to do that. Just something simple for the type of pieces that are in our shop. Hopefully something with simular functions and supports .3ds, .stl and .obj file types.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Lynne
    aka mechanoid@TheVerse

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It sort of depends which functions you are using, but personally, I'd suggest Blender, which is free. In particular, if you enable the add-on "3d Print Toolbox", you've got quite a number of validity checks that are very useful.

For several simple cleanup/fixing operations, the Microsoft Windows 3d Builder is actually quite useful. I don't know the full story, but Netfabb moved to NetfabbCloud, which then moved to a Microsoft Azure site and then appeared in Win10.

You might also look at MeshMixer.