Netfabb Alternative?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Freakazoitt, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Freakazoitt
    Freakazoitt Well-Known Member
    Fortunately, Shapeways doesnt require for "melting" (fixing) model parts, but there are many things, that require to do so. I used online netfabb service and it was great. But now it saves only 3mf format even if you uploaded stl. I have no idea what to do with 3mf

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    If you're using Windows 10 then Microsoft 3D Builder is preinstalled. 3D Builder will convert from 3MF to STL. If you're using Windows 8.1 you can go here to get the installation files. If you're using OSX or Linux, you are kind of out of luck unless you can get can get a 3MF to STL converter working. In this case, search the Shapeways forum for discussions concerning such.

On the other hand, you can also still use the old Netfabb Basic software even though Autodesk bought it and changed stuff about it. You can download the 30 days free trial of the premium version but after 30 days it reverts to the old free Nefabb Basic and it works with Linux, OSX, and Windows.

3. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
  4. Any of you try out MakePrintable? This is an online STL repair tool. It fixes nonmanifold surfaces, intersections and flipped faces. It can also check for wall thickness and hollow out your models.

5. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
    If you're not running Windows 8.1+ then:

Like suggested above, try Cura and see if that fits your needs. It's got a slick interface, but if I'm correct, Cura swaps the y axis with the z axis. I still don't know why it has to do that.

If you're looking to automate the conversion process from 3mf to stl, then download the code that I provided (see a couple of posts above here for the link to the code). Try cp13.zip; that's the latest version of the code. The code relies on the libzip library, which you will have to install onto your computer. Do you have a Mac?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. Freakazoitt
    I'm using Windows 7 64

7. shawn_halayka
    shawn_halayka Well-Known Member
  8. DreamCutter
    DreamCutter Member
    I really like the MakePrintable Advanced Repair (affordable subscription) results from thier Mamouth pointcloud engine. Meshmixer is another free software from Autodesk that has tons of handy features.

9. Freakazoitt
    netfabb online service is back! it's working