Introducing Two New Materials: Tpu And Pa12 Glass Beads

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by gregorykress, Apr 3, 2019.

1. gregorykress
    gregorykress Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hello Shapeways Community!

Today we are excited to announce the addition of two new materials to the platform: PA12 Glass Beads and TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane). These two new materials are creator materials meaning they will only be available for purchase on own models and not available on the marketplace.

PA12 Glass Beads
    PA12 Glass Beads is a new addition to the material family formerly known as “Professional Plastic” that we’re renaming “Multi Jet Fusion Plastic.” PA12 Glass Beads is a glass-filled nylon printed with HP MJF technology, this material offers high stiffness and high structural integrity. Translation: large and flat products will print with ease, without the concern of warping or distortion. PA12 Glass Bead’s resilience and strength makes it an ideal material for projects within the medical, robotics, and drones industries, particularly for applications like flat parts, fixtures, and tooling. It’s currently available in two finishes: Grey and Dark Grey.

TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane)
    Highly flexible and shockingly durable, thermoplastic polyurethane is a vast improvement from our previously offered elastoplastic. TPU’s elasticity and natural resistance to most every day wear makes it an excellent candidate for automotive and medical use. It’d work wonders as an insole, midsole, or helmet and for robotics applications, TPU could be used for tubing, hoses, and seals.

PA12GB and TPU are now available on site upon upload. We are looking forward to seeing how you will utilize these new materials for your business.

Thank you,
    Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2019
  2. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Thank you, Avi, and team for adding new products. Also, thank you for getting the 3D tools (eg wall thickness and bounding box) to work in the my models section.

3. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    Went to order a test in TPU, then checked and its not a store material.

How am I supposed to use this for my business if it isn't able to be put up for sale to my customers?

4. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    "These two new materials are creator materials meaning they will only be available for purchase on own models and not available on the marketplace." The material is essentially in beta.

5. Temjin
    Temjin Well-Known Member
    How soft is it the TPU? I want to use it for the socket of a ball joint.

6. JosieLynn
    JosieLynn Member
    Material Sheet shows Shoare Hardness of >75A. That's harder than tire tread and softer than shoe heel on the common shore hardness graphics...

7. Temjin
    Temjin Well-Known Member
    Thanks, sound about right. really have to test it and see...

8. Not convinced on PA12 glass beads, terrible surface finish and not noticeably any stiffer than plain old versatile plastic.
    How can you claim this is a professional finish and charge so much for it when it comes up inferior to your cheapest material?

BFI-XT2A1440.jpg