Colored Models And Incompatibility When Uploaded

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by zrowngctr, Jun 12, 2020.

1. zrowngctr
    zrowngctr Active Member
    I've been testing Shapeway's ability to work with colored models and while some tests have been successful, my latest ones have not:
    SWcolorTestPMS.png
    SWColorTest01 failed to upload due to file incompatibility.
    PaddlesModularSpear01 uploaded without the colors.

I save the files in WRL format.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue so my files will upload with the colors intact?

2. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    I assume you've read the tutorial on the Sandstone and full-colour polyjet pages? (Since these are the only two materials able to print in colour at the moment...). You need to have the WRL geometry model and texture image files in one zip to upload - simply setting colours for the different CAD layers does not do the job. If in doubt, reach out to the Shapeways team for advice!

3. zrowngctr
    zrowngctr Active Member
    Actually, for the first few uploads, it worked perfectly fine with the color settings, here's an example of one product I prepared, but have not made available for sale:
    HeavyBlastersLime.png

Given that this is much simpler then adding an additional texture map, I had hoped all I would have to do for my multicolor prints was repeat this process with different colors.

I am uncertain why the next few failed when the others were accepted.
    Could it be that more the one color in the file cannot be interpreted properly?

Figured it out eventually:
    ColorOptionsSW.png
    To preserve the colors, use Standard, I was using NetGen and didn't realise I should have switched the setting for a colored print.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    positive_X likes this.
  4. barkingdigger
    barkingdigger Well-Known Member
    Glad you figured it out!