Announcements - Stratasys J750 + Shopify Integration Is Live!

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by gregorykress, Sep 25, 2018.

1. LoveAndShapes
    LoveAndShapes Well-Known Member
    @gregorykress great news about the Shopify bridge :)
    Any plans for other platforms like Woocommerce and/or Etsy?

Regards, Robert

2. TrentTroop
    TrentTroop Well-Known Member
    If this works out, this could be huge for my storefront. Can't wait to see more information about formats and capabilities.

3. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Moving to Shopify status report for those who were wondering...
    OK, bought a URL: jewelryLK.com from GoDaddy
    bought a shopify subscription
    DSN forwarded my new URL to shopify
    I kept my shapeways marketplace shop (after marking everything as not for sale, deleting the old shop name, adding the new shop name, putting back my commissions, and making all the product for sale again)
    then
    got a shopify format .csv file from shapeways customer service (thank you Mitchell Jetten and team)
    got my questions about customer information answered (again thanks Mitchell)
    successfully imported 40 products (907 material / size variants) into shopify
    built a Shopify website storefront using a free template
    added a separate Google tracking property code for the shopify site

So, still no sales, but here is my to do list now:
    buy an email service that allows me to send and receive emails @mystorename and do double opt-in email list building
    find out what happened to my 4 other products and get those moved to shopify
    redo the shopify storefront to address user experience issues (maybe change template, maybe add code)
    add some products to shopify that are not 3D printed (hand-made vitreous enamel cloisonne, maybe gems)

Whew, a lot of work for an old retired guy.

4. srnjm420
    srnjm420 Well-Known Member
    Looked into the Shopify thing... it is at least $30 a month for a store front? My sales do not warrent that expense every month. My sales are down since the site changes... My shop is for the Hobby (miniature vehicles) side of the business and "The Feed" was a tool that worked extremely well for shoppers in our world. Seems like Shapewyas really does not want to work with shops like mine...

5. lawrencekramer2014
    lawrencekramer2014 Well-Known Member
    Shapeways remains my casting supplier, fulfillment drop shipper for all 3D based products, customer service for shipping of things they cast, they calculate and pay any taxes due on the things they make.

But now I'll be able to maintain my own customer file, and nurture those relationships.
    I'm retired and do not have any real money for this hobby. So my own URL / shopify experiment is a 3 month experiment. Roughly $130 investment in total ($30/mo to shopify, $15/yr for URL, $24/yr for @URL email address.
    We shall see... I'll keep you all posted.
    btw, any constructive criticism and feedback on my new site is appreciated.

6. TrentTroop
    I would like to get some more information about the plans for the Stratasys, since with the changes to pricing full color is one of the few hopes I have for keeping sales up.
    • Do we have an estimated time to when beta testing will open for signed-up/selected users?
    • Do we have any information on what materials it will be most comparable to, cost-wise?
    • Are both the flexible opaque full color and transparent rigid full color print-options being explored for Shapeways?
    • Will the Stratasys support interlocking parts? Sprues?
    • Will color data that works for the sandstone prints also work on the Statasys?
    Also, I know this may be jumping ahead a bit, but once the full color options are live, a "Deco" variant option (wouldn't even have to be named, just "Color 1", "Color 2", etc) would be vastly helpful. I can easily produce a half dozen color-schemes per item that my buyers will want, and being able to do so in one shop entry as opposed to several would be a great help.

Also, a color/opacity picker for single-color printing of models that don't have built-in color data would be useful, I expect.

7. javelin98
    javelin98 Well-Known Member
    Adding the Shopify option while also orchestrating a disastrous pricing change is worse than rearranging the deck chairs while the ship is sinking. Why would we spend money on Shopify to host products that have ceased to be competitive in every conceivable way?

MikeyBugs95 likes this.
  8. crashtestdummy
    crashtestdummy Well-Known Member
    Perhaps they are going to merge with shopify, and that's why management has gone silent or when they do post it's just vague generalisations.

9. javelin98
    javelin98 Well-Known Member
    Oh, dear... I so wish you are wrong about that.

10. Has anyone tried printing with the PolyJet, yet? Wondering how the cost and finish are compared to sandstone.

11. TrentTroop
    $99 minimum price? And by my couple of checks it doesn't take a whole lot of machine volume to start piling onto that minimum. Who is this material for?

It's only real function is for tchotchkes, toys, and miniatures, and for the cost I could easily get a smooth detail plastic version and pay a professional miniatures painter to do the work for me. The same applies for people doing prototypes, a professional painter is going to be far more cost effective.

I just put an order in at one of your competitors for a full color plastic print batch. Two items, 12 parts, no sprues, roughly enough for 2 2" figurines in size/mass, for literally less than a third of what a single figure of that size, with 1 part, no sprues, quotes for through your system....and that's with 2-day flat-rate shipping counted into the competitor's price (sadly mandatory through said competition)

I am baffled.

Rick_D_Ryo, Malwen and javelin98 like this.
  12. I made for a couple of attempts , uploading two simple small jewellry objects,by the way price is more than $100 , plus taxes and shipping cost. I consider it a great material option, but it does not worth the expensive cost.